Château Angélus is a Premier Grand Cru Classé A estate on south-facing slopes in Saint-Émilion, on the right bank of the Gironde in Bordeaux. The château was so named because of the presence of church bells that could be heard chiming from the original plots of vineyards, amplified by the natural amphitheater the hill of Saint-Émilion creates.
The site that is now Château Angélus was added to the small estate of the de Boüard de Laforest family in 1920 and, by 1985, the estate had 20 hectares (50 acres) of vines. Hubert de Boüard de Laforest, took over the company reins at this time and began to introduce more modern ways of doing things. He began to change the vineyards to work as sustainably as possible, something that was seen as out of the ordinary for a winemaker in Saint-Émilion at the time.